Where to Get Advice When Developing Land

As Arizona’s economy continues to grow in the face of economic issues throughout the rest of the country, investors and beginning developers are coming from all around to get in on the action. But with so much that goes into land development, early developers can quickly find themselves in over their heads.

Fortunately in this industry there are a multitude of experienced professionals whose job is to make sure your project stays afloat. Depending on the type and scale of the development, you are likely to work with some if not all of the following:

Urban planners 

An urban or town planner’s main priority is sustainability for the local community. They help the community and politicians figure out the most efficient and beneficial use of the land and properties available, weighing in the environmental, economic and social factors of the city.

They have to be aware of all of the zoning rules and legislation involved, and are in charge of making sure all developments and proposals meet the legal requirements. It’s a creative position which often requires creative problem solving to keep the town, potential investors, and the politicians satisfied.

Project Manager

Project managers are one of the key players in land development. They essentially oversee all aspects of the project, from the market research to on-site construction, making sure the project stays on course and within the client’s projected timeframe and budget. 

They typically have a wide network of industry contacts and are responsible for finding and hiring all the different specialists and personnel for the project. They are an indispensable person to have on your side.


There are several kinds of engineers, but here are a few of the most common:

Civil Engineers – These engineers have a broad range of responsibilities which sometimes overlap with those of a project manager. A major difference is that a civil engineer tends to spend more time coordinating the hands-on work in the field, while the project manager is more based in an office setting.

Civil engineers prepare the site for construction and are in charge of designing and building infrastructure for the development. This includes things such as electricity, roads, and sewage.

Geotechnical Engineers – They are in charge of investigating and evaluating the soil of the property. Basically, they make sure the land is capable of supporting the building design and complex infrastructure required for a development. Their evaluations are then used by the structural engineers.

Structural Engineers – They design the structural system of the development, such as the roof, footings and walls. They’re also responsible for handling all the proper documentation and certifications required to obtain a building permit.


Architects are experts in building design and construction, and can determine if a plan is technically sound and practical, and if not, how to alter it to be so. They know how to execute designs and how to maximize light, space, room layout, and more.

Additionally, architects have general knowledge of zoning laws and other legal permissions pertaining to the project.

Property Strategists

Property strategists work with developers to research potential development sites and negotiate the final price. They understand the financial hurdles involved in land development and are there to help new buyers and investors get the most out of their purchase. 

APX West has a team of qualified experts on board and ready to answer your questions so that your development runs smoothly from beginning to end. Call us today at 928-412-3570 to discuss your goals and ensure your project is a success.

Contact us